Monday, January 5, 2009

Breakfast

I have a quick breakfast recommendation.

I just finished reading Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, which is probably one of the best novels ever written and perhaps one of my favorite novels. The way Morrison manages to merge the mythos of her characters and a reality all of us shares is absolutely one of the most poignant, amazing things I've experienced within the pages of a novel. I read the book once before for AP English in High School and this time around it still took my breath and left my nails ragged from nervous chewing.

Some of the book takes place in the South, the old South, where people eat breakfast like they mean it. I became inspired by this and made Geoff and myself a "Southern" Toni Morrison inspired breakfast. Here's how you could do it too.

Firstly, you need to get your hands on a copy of Song of Solomon and read it. Do not attempt to cook or eat this breakfast before doing so.

After that, you need corn bread. Buy it from somewhere if you aren't up to making it yourself. There are no ovens in Korea, so I bought mine at a wonderful bakery in Shinae, where the little old ladies offers samples of everything and over indulge everybody with their smiles.

You also need about two apples (for two people), an 1/8 of a cup of brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. And sausages. Firstly, chop the apples up into smallish pieces. Melt the butter in a pan and once it's melted, add the apples, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg. This needs to be sauteed for about 15-20 minutes.

Cut up the sausages (maybe 2-3 sausages depending on their size) into small pieces and cook those in a frying pan separately, maybe ten minutes after you've started the apples. Add thick sliced pieces of corn bread to the sasuage pan and toast them. When the sausages and the corn bread are browned and the apples gooey, place the corn bread on a plate and cover it first with the apples and then with sausage.

You won't be sorry.